Baked Eggs & Chocolate Chip Muffins: Basic brunch
A basic brunch that will win you big brownie points! One of my go-to baking recipes is baked eggs. They cook up relatively quickly and can be eaten hot- right out of the oven- or put in the fridge to cool and eaten that way as well. I love them any way I can get them and usually bake them in a dozen so I can have extras to snack on throughout the week. They’re great for breakfast on the go!
And a great pairing for baked eggs is muffins! Nothing beats a fresh, soft muffin- baked from scratch. Usually I’ll go for a healthier apple cinnamon or banana nut muffin (I’ll make a note to get those recipes up another day), but sometimes a girl just needs some chocolate. I’ll pop the recipe for both dishes below along with some pictures to show how they came out. Bon Appetit!
- Rosemary (Optional. Sometimes I’ll put a little bit of rosemary or thyme on a few of them. They still taste wonderful without a little garnish added.)
(Yes, that’s all!)
- First, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then crack individual eggs, with yolk intact, into each cup of the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over each egg.
- Place tin into oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until yolk is cooked through.
(Yes, it’s really that easy!)
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I usually use quite a bit of baking powder because I love my muffins with big tops. If you don’t then you can use a little less.)
- 1 cup milk (Or soy milk if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I tend to use applesauce a lot in baking as a healthy alternative to butter. If you’re not too sure about this then you can use 1/2 cup of melted butter instead.)
- two eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I love vanilla extract so I tend to use about 4 tsp of vanilla extract)
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (May sound weird but salt is really important for balancing the sweetness of all the sugar.)
*You can always adjust the amount of sugar used in the recipe for a healthier alternative.
- Begin by preheating oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. (If you’re making the baked eggs as well then you may already have this step done.
- Next you’ll spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, or line them with baking cups.
- In one bowl stir together your dry ingredients- flour, sugars, salt and baking powder
- Then in another bowl mix the wet ingredients- milk, eggs, applesauce (or butter) and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and gently stir ingredients together. You don’t want to beat it too much, just make sure to combine everything.
- Dump chocolate chips into a small bowl of flour and coat them before adding to batter. (This helps to stop the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the cups while baking.)
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in center of muffin and comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven and place on wire rack to cool. (I’ll usually sprinkle a little bit of sugar on about half of them for a little extra sweetness.)
- And lastly, enjoy!
Looks like something I can easily make for rhe kids. Thanks
Definitely! My nieces love the baked eggs and it’s almost impossible for them to make a mess with lol
Who knew you could bake eggs? Thanks for teaching me this cool tip. They look adorable ! And I wish I had a smell-phone for those muffins.
Most people never think about it lol. And they’re a super handy snack on the go 🙂
I need to try this baked eggs recipe, it looks so simple but delicious!
It’s really difficult for me to find good muffin recipe. i’m going to try yours, definitely!
Please, give it a try! I hope you’ll enjoy 🙂
Oh these look amazing! I totally fancy baked eggs now – good I’m reading this at 7am, might just pop downstairs and have some haha x
These are AMAZING!! I am seriously trying these out on the weekend. My mum and husband are going to be so happy!! Love it x
This would go down very well in our household i think I will be recreating at the weekend!!
I can say from personal experience this is amazing.